Dharamshala is one of the top tourist destinations of Himachal Pradesh. Not only it’s popular among the local tourist but also among foreign travelers. Two major attractions of Dharamshala are 1) Mcleod Ganj, a small town situated in the Dhauladhr Ranges and 2) Cricket stadium in Dharamshala.
Mcleod Ganj: Mcleod Ganj is a small town situated on the Dhauladhar Range and is 10 KMs ahead of Dharamshala. It’s situated at the height of 2082 meters. Mcleod Ganj is popular because of its scenic beauty, and it being the capital of Tibetan Govt. in exile and the home of their leader Dalai Lama. A lot of foreign tourist visit here to see the spiritual leader Dalai Lama and attend his lessons on meditation and spiritualism. Among domestic tourists, it’s most popular among Honeymoon travelers.
Dharamshala Cricket Stadium: Probably the world most beautiful cricket stadium is here in Dharamshala. Stadium is surrounded by the Dhauladhar Ranges whose peaks remain covered with snow throughout the year. Playing and non-playing Cricket personalities from all over world has praised the beauty of this stadium. A lot of tourists who visit Dharamshala also visit the cricket stadium to witness the beauty on their eyes which usually they see in Television.
What type of travelers should visit Dharamshala Mcleod Ganj?
Family, Honeymoon, Solo, Adventure, Spirtual, Religious, Art Lover, Nature Lover, Health Wellness
Why one must visit Dharamshala Mcleod Ganj?
- Mcleod Ganj is the home town of Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama. He is regarded as one of the most influential and acceptable leaders of world. People from all over the world come to Dharamshala to see him and take his blessings.
- You can take the lessons on spiritualism and meditation from Dalai Lama and other institutions available in Dharamshala. There are several institutions available in Dharamshala who impart trainings on meditation and yoga.
- There are several Buddhist sites including the temple of Dalai Lama and Monasteries in Mcleod Ganj.
- A lot of travelers also visit Dharamshala Mcleod Ganj to enjoy the Tibetan and Chinese food. Because of Mcleod Ganj being the second home of Tibetans, there are several Tibetans restaurants in Mcleod Ganj who serve the authentic Tibetan food. Probably Mcleod Ganj is the only place in world where you can get all and authentic varieties of Tibetan food.
- Probably the world’s most beautiful cricket stadium is here in Dharamshala. A lot of tourists who visit Dharamshala also visit the cricket stadium to witness the beauty on their eyes which usually they see in Television.
- For trekkers Triund is a one day trek around 9 KMs from Mcleod Ganj. It’s a beautiful trek passing through the forests.
- Another Hill Station Palampur is 35 KMs from Dharamshala
- Kangra Fort is 22 KMs from Dharamshala.
- World’s highest Para Gliding site Bir Billing is 75 KMs from Dharamshala. If you love the adventure activities then you can try the gliding at world’s highest take off site.
- There is also another Para Gliding site in Indru Nag in Dharamshala itself. It’s not as famous as Bir Billing but still you can try the Para Gliding here.
- Famous Hindu Temples are at small distance from Dharamshala. Shiv Temple in Baijnath 50 KMs, Chamunda Devi Temple 20 KMs, Brijeshwari Temple Kangra 22 KMs, Jawalamukhi Temple 55 KMs, Chintpurni Temple 80 KMs.
- Masroor rock temple is 60 KMs from Dharamshala. The major attraction of Masroor is the fifteen exquisitely carved monolithic rock temples dating back to 8th century
Stay and eatery options:
Dharamshala Mcleod Ganj has all sorts of accommodations available for all travelers.
- There are several good hotels and resorts available in Dharamshala and Mcleod Ganj.
- Trekkers who trek up to Dharamkot and Triund can stay at camp sites available there.
- If you want to experience the local culture and food, and want to stay with locals, there are several home stay and resort options available in all budgets. In these accommodation options you will get the opportunity to enjoy local cuisine cooked at home, experience the local culture and the hospitality provided by the property owners.
- Mcleod Ganj is famous for its restaurants. Restaurants here serve variety of food options as tourists from different parts of world visit Mcleod Ganj. You can find one of the best Tibetan and Chinese food here.
- Mcleod Ganj
- Temple of Dalai Lama
- Dharamshala Cricket Stadium
- Naam Art Gallery
- Bhagsunag Temple
- Water Fall
- Kangra Fort
- Dal Lake
- Chamunda Devi Temple
- Indru Nag
Dharamshala remains pleasant from March to April (14-19 degree Centigrade) and gradually becomes moderately hot during May-June ( 24-25 degree Centigrade). Monsoon arrives by mid July and usually lasts upto September. Nearly 65% of the annual rainfall (250 cm) occurs during these three months. October marks the beginning of Autumn and weather remains sunny, cool and fresh till November (15-19 degree Centigrade). Winter sets in from December and lasts upto February (10-12 degree Centigrade)
For current weather conditions you can also refer to
How to reach Dharamshala:
Dharamshala is well connected by all means of travel.
By Air: There is an airport in Dharamshala (also known as Gaggal) and it’s situated 15 KMs from main town. There are direct flights from Delhi to Dharamshala. Please be advised that in winters and rainy season Delhi – flights to Dharamshala are often canceled at the last minute due to weather and other issues. It will be better to have an alternative plan ready just in case this happens.
There are 2 options if you prefer trains:
1-Train from Delhi to Pathankot/ Chakki Bank and then bus/taxi to Dharamshala (3-4 hrs)
2-Train from Delhi to Pathankot/ Chakki Bank and then narrow gauge train onwards to Kangra and then taxi or bus to Dharamshala. Delhi – Pathankot (550 kms , 10 hrs) + Pathankot – Kangra (75 kms , 5-6 hrs) + Kangra – Dharamshala (30 minutes)
By Bus: Delhi to Dharamshala is about 10-12 hours journey. Daily Volvo and other bus services by Himachal Roadways and private service providers are available from ISBT Kashmiri Gate or Majnu Ka Tilla in Delhi to Dharamshala/Mcleod Ganj. Day and night both services are available but people prefer to travel overnight.
Want to visit Dharamshala Mcleod Ganj? We can prepare your personalized travel plan for FREE based on your requirements and suggest you the hidden gems of Dharamshala Mcleod Ganj. Click here to start the process